White supremacy is a belief system and [[ideology]] that asserts the superiority of people identified as white or of European descent. It promotes the idea that white people are inherently more intelligent, morally superior, and deserving of social, economic, and political dominance over other racial and ethnic groups. This belief has been historically used to justify [[discrimination]], oppression, and marginalization of non-white populations.
## Key aspects of white supremacy
1. **Historical origins**: White supremacist ideologies emerged during the Age of Exploration and the subsequent colonization of the Americas, Africa, and Asia by European powers. These ideologies were used to justify the enslavement of African populations and the subjugation of indigenous peoples.
2. **Racism and discrimination**: White supremacy has been the basis for various forms of [racism](https://doctorparadox.net/category/psychology/racism/), [bigotry](https://doctorparadox.net/psychology/bigotry-is-bad-thinking/), and [[discrimination]], including [[segregation]], [[apartheid]], and policies of [[genocide]]. It has resulted in systemic inequalities that continue to affect marginalized communities today.
3. **Social and political movements**: Throughout history, there have been various white supremacist movements and organizations that have sought to advance their racist beliefs through social and political means. These groups often use fear, intimidation, and violence to achieve their goals.
4. **Contemporary manifestations**: While overt white supremacist groups and ideologies have declined in some areas, they have not disappeared. In many cases, these beliefs have evolved into more subtle forms, such as dog-whistle politics, online radicalization, and [white nationalism](https://doctorparadox.net/save-democracy/right-wing-ideologies/white-nationalist-beliefs/).
5. **Countering white supremacy**: Efforts to counter white supremacy have included education, legislation, [[civil rights]] movements, and grassroots activism. These efforts aim to challenge and dismantle the structures that perpetuate racial inequality and promote a more inclusive society.
It is important to recognize that white supremacy is not simply an extremist or fringe belief but rather a pervasive ideology that has shaped the course of history and continues to impact society today.
See also: [[nationalism]]